Event Groups: 800m and longer
The Pre-Competition Training Phase for Distance Runners is the approximately 8 weeks between the end of Winter Base Training and the beginning of Track & Field season. For most high school teams, this period runs from February through some or all of March. For customized training plans specific to your schedule, you can always Contact Us for special consultation and pricing. Typically, a customized training plan costs about twice as much as the templated version.
The primary focus during the Pre-Competition Training Phase is “speed-endurance.” We also will focus on core strength and flexibility, as well as continuing to work on endurance. This is a transition period from base training, which consisted of high-volume endurance training, to competition season. The athletes will begin to pick up the speed while keeping the rest between intervals low. Weekly mileage will back off a bit in order to freshen the legs.
– Basic philosophy of the training “phases” contained in a year of high school middle distance and distance training and competition
– How to determine tempo run pace, mile pace, 5k pace, which inform workout paces
– Modifications for each week’s workouts to accommodate newer runners
– Detailed workouts and mileage for each day throughout the 8 weeks
– An appendix of core and drill references
– PDF format, one week per page. Printer-friendly.
Total Cost: $50
To receive a full 8-week Pre-Competition Training Plan for high school athletes, please click “Pay with Card” below. Once payment is received, the plan will be emailed to you in PDF format.